Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy (freaking) New Year. Or whatever.

     Well, it's 2011.  I've told people for years that my least favorite day of the year is January 2nd.  Why?  It's pretty straightforward, at least in my mind -- Christmas season is over, and it's as far away as it is going to get .  The days are about as short as they can be (though getting longer, I'll concede that).  It's cold.  And seemingly worst of all -- it's practically five months to the next day off from work (Memorial Day).  Yes, Dave, it truly is a dark and gloomy time.  Or is it. . .?
     The question I have for myself is, of course, why do I insist on looking at it from this perspective?  I am realizing now that a lot of my cynicism, sarcasm, and overall pessimism is of course an acquired persona.  It's who Dave is.  Dave's witty.  Dave's acerbic.  Dave's self - deprecating.  It's all fun and games and all that crap, but lately I've realized that, in the not - too - distant past, I've pretty much been Eeyore as well, and I'm getting to the point where I don't necessarily like it anymore.  Not because of the effect it has on other people, because it doesn't really show up a whole lot.  People around me, they just laugh it off and go on about whatever it is they're doing.  No, I don't like it because it just flat - out makes it more energy intensive and time consuming for me to go about my day.  It's hard to put on a jovial face when you're gloomy underneath.  But what about when a lot of the times you're just gloomy because that's what you're "supposed" to be?  It's your personality, after all, right?  Maybe.  Or maybe not.  So I'm resolving to begin to take a journey in 2011 towards a more centered world view.  I don't know where it will lead -- you might catch me at the end of 2011 saying, essentially, "That, my friends, sucked."  But, as with all things, I won't know unless I seek to find out. 
    So yes, January 2nd will continue to be my least favorite day of the year, but thank you, God -- I don't have to go back to work until January 3rd, and by that time Christmas will be closer than yesterday, the day will be longer than yesterday, and Memorial day is less than 5 months away.  I'll be surrounded by a beautiful wife and two children that are a continued inspiration to me.  I'm healthy.  I have a job with great co-workers.  I have a house and plenty of food and clothes.  These things, and so many more, are incredibly positive realities that most of us have come to see as foregone conclusions and "basics", when instead we should view them as specific blessings from God Himself.  And THAT, my friends, is where my resolution lies.  Happy New Year!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment